Monday, October 08, 2007

Saturday morning we got up early and while Nessa showered I whipped up some breakfast burritos...we left about 6:45 am enroute to the Marine Corps reruit depot in San Diego. While driving down the freeway at about 80mph (standard california speed) I pulled up alongside a san diego city police officer. As we drove past him, he proceeded to get behind me and ride my ass for about a 1/2 mile. He then pulls up alongside of me and screams out his window "65 not 85!" At this point, I am lost because I was going the same speed as him...ANYWAY. As we exited the freeway, and got close to the depot, I could already sense the motivation in my body. It was rumbling. This was my first trip back to the depot in a few years. Althoug it is not the depot where I was "born" it was still the depot. The place was packed. Marathon runners, triathletes, Marines, spectators, high school track teams! You name it, and they were there. I had no idea the turnout was going to be so enormous! So we parked and met up with Mr. W and Cindy! It was good to put faces to names and meet Nessa's friends! They were both cool. Tim informed me that he had gotten out of he Corps in 1984. Yes that's 21 years before I got out but still as they say, "once a marine always a marine."
We walked around and got our gift bags and dog tags and such when we spotted the pull up bar. Some recruiters were offering us civilians the challenge of either men doing 20 dead hang pullups or women doing the flex arm hang for 70 seconds. If this was completed, the lucky person received a free "pain is weakness leaving the body" t-shirt. Nessa convinced me to "win" her a t-shirt which I thought would be no difficult task since 20 pullups is my norm. 19 3/4 pull ups later, I felt that perhaps I had lost my edge. All eyes were on me and, I didn't meet the standard. I did not get down on myself, I just mentally prepped for the race. At 8:45, as the individual males entered the chute...there was a drill instructor barking out orders and prompting the crowd! I didn't feel the need to respond at all. Finally, we took off. It was so crowded, I must have chopped my steps for about an eighth of a mile. The first mile was a bit boring but I managed to keep a decent pace...then we got to the obstacles!!!! I then immediately thought It was 1998 and I was back in boot camp. I attacked every obstacle like a killer! I even made time to elbow the shit out of the dummies used for bayonnet training that everybody else seemed to run by. I was fairly quiet the whole race, until I saw a few marines that I recognized that are now drill instructors! Also the sound of motivating cadence blared over the P.A. System and that's when I knew I wouldn't slow down or stop running! I did however manage to see a few guys that looked like they were dying! I thought to myself silently, "you are not a warrior" anyway my overall time was 26:02. Mr. W came in @ 25:25. Great job by the way! Afterwards Tim and I sat in the shade and talked about the corps, current and past pay rates, the race, and waited patiently for the girls...they showed up around the 30-31 minute mark. They looked a little flustered but still of sound mind and body! So off to our cars we went so Mr. W and Cindy could change and Nessa could get her ATM card to pick up a tanktop. At some point, I felt compelled to make my way back to the pull up bars and win her a T-shirt! The line was long and Nessa even held my spot while I caught up with a few of the drill instructors that I had recognized. Once I got back and it was my turn, I mounted the bar and attacked it with vigor and determination! (the twenty pull-ups came easy as I thought they should have the first time and Nessa got her t-shirt. Overall the day was great. After the race Nessa and I walked to the command museum which is where the pics are from. I have lived in a 2-man tent on numerous deployments. Brought back a few memories I must say. Can't wait until next year!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

11 Comments:

Blogger Jane Doe said...

I had such a great time with you, Bay! I think you and Mr. W did a great job on your first race.

THANKS SOOO MUCH for winning me that shirt! You ROCK! :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

btw, your 2-man tent is ridicously TINY!!!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you two men popped your delicate little cherries on your first organized race ever! We (Vanessa and I) are SO proud of you (you and Mr. W)!

Thanks for downplaying my grief. Haha!

5:38 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, gucci handbags, nike air max, air max, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, jordan shoes, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air max, louis vuitton, christian louboutin uk, christian louboutin outlet, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, chanel handbags, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, nike roshe, nike free, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, uggs on sale, replica watches, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, louboutin pas cher, prada outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors pas cher, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet

10:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face, replica handbags, converse pas cher, nike air force, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, ray ban uk, polo lacoste, hollister uk, coach purses, ray ban pas cher, nike tn, nike roshe run uk, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, north face uk, sac vanessa bruno, hogan outlet, vans pas cher, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, michael kors, true religion outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, burberry outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry handbags, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, guess pas cher, coach outlet store online, new balance, nike air max uk, mulberry uk, uggs outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans

10:43 PM  
Blogger وسام حسنى said...



شركة تخزين عفش بالخبر


شركة تخزين عفش بالجبيل


شركة تخزين بالدمام

افضل شركة نقل عفش بالدمام

1:53 PM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...

شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
نحتاج فى بيوتنا إلى عامل مساعد يعيننا على إتمام مهام كشف تسربات المياه داخل و خارج الخزانات من عزل مائي و حراري و هنا يجب علينا أن نستعين بشركة عزل خزانات بالرياض لأنها متخصصة فى ذلك المجال و هى الأكثر تميزاً بين الجميع و يسعدنا تقديم المساعدة يعتبر عزل الخزانات من الضرورات لحماية أسطح المباني من تأثير العوامل الجوية و الطبيعية على مر السنوات و خاصة إذا كان المبنى يخص منشأة صناعية أو مصنع من المصانع الذي يتخلف عنه حرارة نتيجة الصناعة و في نفس الوقت الذي فيه الخرسانة تمتص الحرارة و تفقدها بسرعة لذلك فنحن نفقد الكثير من درجات الحرارة شتاءاً اتصل الآن بأهل الخبرة.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...

شركة مكافحة قطط بالرياض

6:10 PM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...

شركة شفط بيارات بالرياض
تقوم شركة شفط بيارات بالرياض بخدمات شفط البيارات من خلال أحدث أجهزة الشفط المميزة و تقوم الشركة بخدمة تسليك وشفط البيارات من خلال شتى الطرق الحديثة التي تعتمدها أكبر الشركات عالمياً و تقوم الشركة بخدمة تنظيف البيارات من جميع الأوساخ و الطفيليات المتراكمة من الخارج ومن الداخل على أيدي عمالة محترفة وذو خبرة فائقة وتقوم الشركة بخدمات التخلص من الحشرات التي تتجمع حول البيارة باستخدام مواد فعالة تقضي تماماً علي الحشرات وتقوم أيضاً بخدمة تعقيم و تطهير البيارات للتخلص من الأوبئة و الأمراض التي تسببها البيارات فلا تترددوا و اتصلوا بنا الأن و سوف تحصلون على جميع الخدمات التي تحتاجونها.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...


شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
تقوم شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض بخدمه شفط البيارات من خلال أحدث أجهزة الشفط المتطورة حيث تقوم الشركة بخدمة تنظيف و تسليك البيارات من خلال شتى الطرق المعتمدة و الحديثة التي تعتمدها اكبر الشركات عالمياً و تقوم الشركة بخدمة تنظيف البيارات من جميع الأوساخ و البكتيريا و الطفيليات المتراكمة بها على يد عمالة مدربة وذو خبرة فائقة و تقوم الشركة بخدمات التخلص من الحشرات التي تتجمع حول البيارة باستخدام مواد فعالة تقضي تماماً علي الحشرات و تقوم أيضاً بخدمة تعقيم و تطهير البيارات للتخلص من الأوبئة و الأمراض التي تسببها البيارات فاستعن بنا الآن و سوف تحصل علي جميع الخدمات التي تحتاج إليها.
_______________________________

6:14 PM  
Blogger rabab saad said...

مقاول اسفلت بالدمام
نجار غرف نوم بجدة
نجار دواليب جدة
معلم تركيب غرف نوم بجدة
نجار ابواب بجدة
ورشة نجارة بجدة
نجار شرق الرياض
نجار غرب الرياض
نجار شمال الرياض
نجار جنوب الرياض

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home